Thursday, May 19, 2011
Posted by J.R. Taylor at 7:26 PM
5 Things We Learned From The Hollywood Reporter’s American Idol Cover Story
1. Kara DioGuardi was the one who recommended Steven Tyler to Randy Jackson as a possible judge. Randy then brought the idea to the attention of the Idol producers.
2. Jennifer Lopez, a huge Idol addict, was on everyone’s (including Simon Cowell) list as possible judges. She was first asked to consider the show in April of 2010.
3. Steven and Jennifer were hired without ever putting them into the same room together to judge their chemistry. Randy, Ryan, Jennifer and Steven had a big dinner the day before the official announcement was made, and, as Jackson recalls, “Some of the execs dropped by later, and they were like, ‘Wow, it’s like old pals week.’”
4. Producer Nigel Lythgoe was initially against the Judges’ Save, but admits, “Thank God we saved Casey [Abrams]. From a practical point of view, I loved it because here was a guy who really deserved to be saved. But I would prefer to go to my way, which is the judges make the decision out of the bottom two or three that America votes. Then you don’t need a save.”
5. Steven Tyler is a big fan of J-Lo’s romantic comedy The Back-Up Plan. Jury’s still out on what he thought of Gigli, though.