Beyoncé - "Schoolin' Life"

J.R. Taylor Choreography

Monday, November 17, 2008


Wanda Sykes has come out of the closet and is proudly stating that she is, indeed, "proud to be gay."

The acclaimed comedienne and star of the CBS sitcom, 'The New Adventures of Old Christine,' spoke her truth during a gay rights rally in Las Vegas on Saturday.

"You know, I don't really talk about my sexual orientation," the Emmy Award winner said. "I didn't feel like I had to. I was just living my life, not necessarily in the closet, but I was living my life,"

"Everybody that knows me personally they know I'm gay," she continued. "But that's the way people should be able to live their lives."

The motivation behind the revelation: the Nov. 4 passage of a same-sex marriage ban in California that has taken the nation by storm.

Sykes said the ban (also known as California's Proposition 8) made her feel like she was "attacked."

"Now, I gotta get in their face," she said. "I'm proud to be a woman. I'm proud to be a black woman, and I'm proud to be gay."

According to the 'Associated Press,' Sykes' appearance at the Las Vegas rally surprised organizers.

One person who was not so surprised, but was, indeed, elated was Terrance Dean, author of the best-selling memoir, 'Hiding In Hip Hop,' who said he is proud to see a black celebrity come out of the closet.

"How brave and courageous for a black celebrity to finally come out," Dean said. "What so many in Hollywood are afraid to do, especially blacks, Wanda Sykes has taken a step forward. This is a milestone of firsts in our community of black celebrities who will be coming out."

The popular motivational speaker and gay rights activist's provocative and explosive memoir discussed the down low life of many celebrities, rappers, and actors who live secret double lives.

Dean may have been prophetic, too.

"I have been saying that within the year a major celebrity will be coming out. In my book, Hiding In Hip Hop, I have discussed many celebrities who live secret lives and how we in the entertainment industry know, but the public is unsuspecting. Wanda has taken a giant step and trust me, others will be following."

0 comments: