Beyoncé - "Schoolin' Life"

J.R. Taylor Choreography

Wednesday, February 11, 2009



While Tyler Perry loves to play his signature role of Madea Simmons in his various films, they are not sequels. Each of those films have been successful, but many consider 'Why Did I Get Married?' his best work to date; which is why he is planning to do a follow-up with hopes for the return of original cast members, which includes Janet Jackson, Jill Scott, Tasha Smith, Sharon Leal, Malik Yoba, Richard T. Jones and Michael Jai White.

While promoting his latest film, 'Madea Goes To Jail', which opens up on Feb. 20, Perry spoke to BlackVoices.com about the 'Married' sequel as well as his role in the upcoming 'Star Trek' film and his opportunity to be in 'X-Men Origins: Wolverine.'

Will there be another pairing with Tasha Smith?

Tyler Perry: 'Why Did Get Married Too?' I'm writing it right now.

Why do a sequel to the film?

TP: Because there is so much I want to say. There's not another film that I have written that I felt like there's more to say; and there's more say in 'Why Did I Get Married Too.'

Will it the same cast or a new group of actors?

TP: It will be the same cast. Everybody. I won't do it without the original cast.

What's the storyline?

TP: I can't talk about it now, but it's going to be great.

How fun was it to work on 'Star Trek'?

TP: It was really exciting. J.J Abrams is a fan and he called and asked me if I would be interested in doing the film and I was shocked. The timing was perfect and it was only a week. It's a really small role. It really helped me to see what it's like to be on someone else's set.

What's your role in the film?

TP: I'm the Commander of the Star Fleet. I run the school. I'm a pretty big guy, literally, and in the film.

Were you a 'Star Trek' fan?

TP: No, I only had two scenes with the two leads. I wasn't a trekkie, but after seeing the trailer, I may become one.



How was wearing the uniform? Did you get to keep it?

TP: Oh no. They were top secret about the uniform. We had to wear rain coats to cover them up so that they wouldn't be shot from the outside. This whole thing has been top secret, but it would be worth it when it comes out.

I know you mentioned that Abrams is a fan of yours, but considering you haven't acted in films outside of your own, did you wonder if he brought you on to bring in a large African American base to the film?

TP: I don't know if that is what he was thinking. Looking at him and talking to him, he is the Jewish version of me. He works on television and works on films. He does not stop. He writes as well. I was watching him work and rework the scene, and there's something about my story that is so similar to him in what I'm doing. I think it intrigued him as much as it intrigued me. I don't think that demographics was the case of me being in the film; because they would have given me a supportive role rather than just a cameo. I think it was about him feeling me out and me about him, and I think it worked out okay.

Was he the first to ask you to appear in a movie outside of your films?

TP: He was the first. It didn't make sense to do a movie that I can do myself. I don't want you to call me and ask me to do a film about a black family. I can do that myself. I don't want to be in your movie doing that. Now, if you want me to do 'Mission: Impossible', or 'Star Trek' or 'Wolverine', which I was called for but I couldn't do because I was doing 'The Family That Preys', but those sort of films, yes, I can do that.

You were called to do 'Wolverine'?

TP: Yeah. I was set to go to Australia but we couldn't work out the dates.

What part were you suppose to play? Was it the role that Will.i.am has in the film, John Wraith?

TP: Could be. I don't know.

0 comments: